ROCKFORD (WREX) – 815 Entertainment, the group bringing a Hard Rock Casino to Rockford, will acquire the restaurant and convention center from Giovanni to renovate the space for a temporary casino location once approved.

Last week, the Illinois Gaming Board turned down an application to license a casino operator after Giovanni tried to withdraw his application a few days earlier. Under the Illinois Gaming Law, applicants cannot withdraw without the consent of the ITUC.

Illinois Gaming Board administrator Marcus Fruchter said employees recommended denying the supplier’s license “based on behaviors and associations that compromise the integrity of gambling and discredit or tend to discredit the state and gambling in Illinois, discredit it. ” However, Administrator Fructher did not elaborate on this at Wednesday’s meeting.

The rejection sparked a clause in the rental and ownership agreements that would allow 815 Entertainment to acquire Castrogiovannis’s ownership and interest in the company, Terence Dunleavy, attorney for the company, told 13 WREX media partners at the Rockford Register Star. 13 WREX asked Dunleavy for comment, but we haven’t heard from it. Details of the acquisition were not disclosed.

Dunleavy informs the Register Star that this will not affect the timeline of the casino process.

“We are aware that the current owners of the temporary casino website will sell the site to existing investors. We don’t think this change of ownership will slow down the casino process, “Rockford Mayor Tom McNamara said in a statement to 13 WREX.

In February, the Illinois Gaming Board unanimously approved a preliminary suitability study for the Hard Rock Casino, an important step in the process.

If approved by the gaming board, there are plans to open a temporary casino at Giovanni’s with 736 slot machines, a snack bar, a casino bar, and a legacy restaurant that already exists. Plans released by Hard Rock indicate that it will be open for 18 to 24 months while construction of the Hard Rock Casino is underway.

The owner, Joe Castrogiovanni, says he will work with Hard Rock on the project after deciding to remove himself and his wife from the casino licensing process.

“I have decided to remove myself and my wife from the IGB licensing process and work with the Hard Rock staff to make the project easier. I know they will offer a wonderful product for future employees and customers. The Rockford City deserves nothing But the best, and we will continue to be proud to support this project and everything it brings to our region. “- Joe Castrogiovanni, Owner / Giovanni