This is an on-going series of online activities that you can do on your computer or tablet, as well as local in-person events following the COVID-19 pandemic.
Lectures & learning
• The pen-to-paper writer course will take place on Thursday, July 1, from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm at La Jolla / Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. and will continue every Thursday. The course is open to authors of all skill levels from the age of 18. Free. (858) 552-1657
Scott Farr will be teaching a series of bridge courses at the La Jolla Community Center starting Monday July 5th.
(Courtesy Scott Farr and the La Jolla Community Center)
• The La Jolla Community Center will be offering a range of personal bridge courses starting July, taught by experienced instructor Scott Farr at 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Bridging courses that begin on July 5th will be held on Mondays at 2:00 p.m. Intermediate courses will be held on Mondays at 10.30am starting July 5th and will include hand assessments and tenders. Advanced courses will take place on Tuesdays at 10:00 am starting July 6th and will include competitive or defensive, bidding and play. $ 100 for community center members; € 120 for non-members. firstname.lastname@example.org
• The La Jolla Community Center will present “Watercolor Magic” on Tuesdays at 4:00 pm starting July 6th at 6811 La Jolla Blvd. In Minnie Valero’s four-week course, the basics of watercolors, color mixing and their effective application are taught. $ 80 for community center members; $ 100 for non-members. ljcommunitycenter.org/inpersonclasses
Family & children
• The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library presents Children’s Storytime at 3pm Wednesday, July 7th at 1008 Wall Street. The event is aimed at children aged 1-9 years. Free. ljathenaeum.org
• La Jolla Playhouse presents “Pick Me Last” which is now streamed online. The production of the Schauspielhaus Performance Outreach Program Tour 2021 for young audiences is about standing up for friends and learning to let them stand up for themselves. Free of charge (use password pop2021). bit.ly/LJPlayhousePickMeLast
Art and culture
• Warwick’s bookstore will be presented by author J’nell Ciesielski on Wednesday, July 7th at 4pm on Facebook Live. Ciesielski will talk to the author Rachel McMillan about her new book “The Ice Swan”. Free. warwicks.com/event/Ciesielski-2021
• The San Diego Repertory Theater, La Jolla Playhouse and The Old Globe present “We are Listening” online on Thursday, July 8th at 5:30 pm. The bi-weekly salon, where black theater life is discussed, continues with guest Miki Vale, an international hip-hop artist, an Old Globe commissioned playwright and founder of the SoulKiss Theater. Free. bit.ly/WALVale
Pianist Larry Goldings and the rest of the Larry Goldings Quartet will perform at the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library in La Jolla on Saturday July 10th.
(Courtesy Athenaeum Music & Arts Library)
• Live jazz returns to the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library with Farrell Family Jazz, a series of summer concerts starting on Saturday, July 10th at 1008 Wall Street at 7:30 PM. The first concert will be played by the Larry Goldings Quartet with Goldings on piano, David Piltch on bass, Jay Bellerose on drums and Sebastian Aymanns on drums. Future concerts are July 31st and August 7th and 14th. $ 35 per concert for Athenaeum members / $ 132 for the series; $ 40 for non-members / $ 152 for the series. ljathenaeum.org/summer-jazz
• The North Coast Repertory Theater presents “Becoming Dr. Ruth ”, which was extended online until Sunday, July 11th. The solo showcase, written by Mark St. Germain, shows Tovah Feldshuh as a sex therapist and media personality. $ 35 for single viewing; $ 54 for group viewing. nordcoastrep.org
Galas & Events
• The Yiddish Arts and Academics Association of North America presents Corona and the New Normal online at 11 am on Sunday, July 11th. The zoom game is a fundraiser for the organization hoping to open a Yiddish cultural center in La Jolla. $ 36. yaaana.com/fundraiser
• Olivewood Gardens & Learning Center and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists San Diego-Tijuana Chapter present “Rosamaria’s Culinary Traditions: Virtual Cooking Class” online on Wednesday, July 14th at 6:00 pm. Traditional vegan recipes are featured at the fundraiser for the Olivewood and NAHJ San Diego-Tijuana nutrition and gardening programs. $ 20 for course registration; $ 20 for an ingredient kit that can be picked up on Tuesday July 13th
Do you have an event – online or in person – that you would like to see here? Email your leads to email@example.com. ◆