INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – The organizers of a fireworks show that lights up on July 4th each year in downtown Indianapolis are looking for a new launch site for pyrotechnics a year after the pandemic canceled the long-running event.

Downtown Indy must find a new location as longtime hosts, Regions Tower announced on Wednesday that the event could no longer be admitted from the roof of the 36-story building as the fireworks could pose a threat to new housing developments nearby .

The nonprofit said it is working to find a convenient downtown location to launch fireworks and is working with the Indianapolis Fire Department, other city officials and pyrotechnics professionals.

Downtown Indy said if it finds a new location it probably wouldn’t host a major community viewing event due to social distancing rules. But residents could watch from nearby locations.

Mayor Joe Hogsett said in a statement the city hopes to “restore our special tradition of July 4th fireworks,” which create a “spectacle” over downtown the city.

Downtown Indy is also looking for sponsors to help fund the fireworks display that took place half a century before the pandemic-triggered cancellation last year.

Prior to the pandemic, the event was led by Indianapolis-based Emmis Communications, which transferred responsibility to Downtown Indy. The group said they will continue to work with Emmis as their media partner so that future celebrations can continue to be synced to music on local radio.

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed in any way without permission.