“There was a big shadow in the sky and on a second look we noticed that this cloud was caused by rapidly approaching planes. Then we realized that the enemy had organized in the night and just like the Germans in our area invaded France and invaded Belgium. “

Mary Jones Parrish, author of “Events of the Tulsa Disaster”

“I heard him roar and looked up and saw him come with those hands about twenty-five feet from me, or thirty, and he said, ‘Here I am.’ …

“I said to people,” This is Dr. Jackson. Don’t hurt him. … Two men shot him … he fell with the second shot with the high-powered rifle. “

Former City Commissioner John Oliphant describes the murder of Dr. AC Jackson

“… Some negroes who barricaded themselves in houses refused to stop shooting and had to be killed.”

John W. McCuen, Captain of the 3rd National Infantry Guard, B Company, Oklahoma, in a written report

“After they lined up 30 or 40 of us men, they ran us down the streets to the convention hall, forcing us to keep our hands in the air all the time. As we ran, some of the ruffians shot on our heels and cursed those who were having trouble keeping up. They actually crashed a car and knocked two or three men down. When we reached the convention hall, we were searched again. People were herded into it like cattle. The sick and wounded were dumped in front of the building and remained without attention for hours. “

James TA West, high school teacher (Source: “Events of the Tulsa Disaster)

“My greatest loss was my beautiful home and my family Bible. I’m 92 years old so they didn’t bother me. “

Jack Thomas (Source: “Events of the Tulsa Disaster”)

Shortly after daybreak on Wednesday June 1, 1921, I received a call to come to the hospital to dress two wounded men. I dressed hastily and went to the hospital. Just as I was opening my front door, a shot was fired at me from a nearby hill and the bullet grazed my leg. I closed the door. A few moments later, when she heard the gunfire, my wife opened the door slightly and a second volley was fired. “

Dr. RT Bridgewater

Bridgewater was taken to Convention Hall to be held but was soon released. He returned and found his house searched. “I saw my piano and all of my elegant furniture piled up in the street. My safe had been broken into, all the money stolen, including my cutlery, cut glass, all family clothes, and everything valuable, including my family Bible, had been removed. “

(Source: “Events of the Tulsa Disaster”)

Photo courtesy of the Special Collections Division, McFarlin Library, University of Tulsa